Jojoba (pronounced ho-HO-ba) comes from the seed of Simmondsia chinensis (Jojoba) - a desert shrub that is native to Central America. Being one of the most effective ingredients used in plant-based skincare, jojoba oil boasts an array of skin benefits that distinguish it from other oils.
A common misconception about jojoba oil is that it is classified as oil when in fact, it is a liquid wax in its natural state.
Here are 7 reasons you would want to utilize jojoba oil benefits in your skincare routine:
1. Jojoba oil is uniquely compatible with our skin. It has a composition similar to sebum, secreted by our sebaceous glands to lubricate and protect our skin and hair. When sebum production decreases as we age and get exposed to environmental pollutants, jojoba helps to mimic our natural sebum oil. Jojoba will work to penetrate and moisturize dry skin, soften fine lines and wrinkles making it a perfect choice for premature aging.
2. Jojoba oil is non-comedogenic, meaning it doesn’t clog pores. This makes jojoba oil a good pick for a facial oil and it’s widely considered to be a primary ingredient for acne-friendly facial products.
3. Jojoba oil has a very long shelf life - it will be of the best quality for at least 2-3 years if stored properly. Some say its shelf life is up to 25 years!
4. Jojoba oil is rich is antioxidants, omega 6 and 9 fatty acids which helps keep skin plump and supple.
5. Jojoba oil is pressed from a seed, not nut and is safe for people with nut allergies.
6. Jojoba oil is multi-purpose - it can replace a wide variety of products in personal care routine. It can be used to remove make-up, oil cleanse, soften and smooth hair (including facial hair) and of course moisturize and condition skin!
7. Jojoba oil generally works well for all skin types It’s known to lock in moisture and protect dry skin and balance oil production for those with oily or combination skin.
With all these advantages in mind, it’s so obvious why jojoba oil lives up to its skin saver reputation!
Jojoba oil up can be taken up a notch by slowly infusing it with organic herbs. Calendula, rose, elderflower, green tea and nettles are so wonderful for the skin that synergistically work with jojoba releasing their high levels of antioxidant flavonoids right into it. Jojoba plus herbs equals a true skin elixir :)
Herb-infused jojoba oil works wonderfully as a face cleansing oil. Learn more about the Oil Cleansing Method here.
Here are Nurtur Health products with herb infused jojoba oil base:
Replenish Face Serum Oil with Calendula and Elderflower